Click to Home
Resident Help Center

Go To Search
An Online Guide to Good Neighborhoods
Keep Your Neighborhood Clean, Attractive and Crime-Free
The City of Brooklyn Center is home to approximately 28,000 residents and 500 businesses. The first ring suburb has excellent accessibility (approximately 15 minutes) to Minneapolis/St. Paul by I-694/94 and Hwy 100. Brooklyn Center has an abundance of natural beauty including water features such as the Mississippi River, Shingle Creek, Palmer Lake, Twin Lakes, and wetlands. Recreational opportunities include a Community Center with an Olympic size pool and waterslide, 9-hole Par 3 golf course, parks and trailways.

Residents, businesses and visitors have a strong sense of community reflected by active Neighborhood Watch groups, business associations, faith-based organizations, school programs, and community groups.

Whether a homeowner, tenant or landlord— having pride in the community and pride in your home is the foundation of a great city. Investing in a home or choosing to live in a community is an important decision that comes with great responsibility. Being a responsible neighbor helps keep the community clean, safe, attractive and a good place to be. Pride in home ownership shows you care about your investment, your neighbor, your community and consequences.

View the following links to learn about some common city regulations and livability standards designed to help keep our neighborhoods and city great.

Garbage, Recycling and Yard Waste Management
Garbage and Recycling Management
Residential homes are required to have weekly garbage pick-up. Garbage and trash must be placed inside watertight , durable containers to prevent blowing trash and harborage of insects, rodents and pests. Please do not place non-recyclables or garbage in the recycling container. (City Code 7-102)

Garbage and recycling containers must be placed inside a garage/shed or be placed behind the front set-back of the house. (Refer to Diagram 1, page 4) Waste containers may only be set out at the curb for pick-up after sunset the night before and during the day of pick-up. 
Garbage and recycling containers may not be placed in the street or on sidewalks. This creates problems with pedestrian and vehicle traffic, interferes with snowplowing and maintenance activities, and creates liability for the resident for any resulting accidents.

The City does not provide garbage or yardwaste pickup. Residents must contact a private, licensed refuse hauler. For more information about these topics, view our Recycling and Waste webpage and our Waste Haulers webpage.

Outside Storage, Junk and Debris
Rubbish, junk, old furniture, appliances, auto parts, machinery and equipment may not be stored outside. These items must be stored inside a building or properly disposed of. Please do not place sofas, furniture, firewood and other items in the boulevard unless they are scheduled for trash pickup that day. (City Code 19-103, 7, 12)

Yard Maintenance and Yard Waste
A healthy lawn is more resistant to lawn diseases and weeds. Yards must be seeded or sodded and maintained in a manner to prevent erosion and nuisances. (City Code 12-711)


Grass and weeds must be mowed and trimmed to a height of 8 inches or less. Noxious weeds must be destroyed or eradicated. Noxious weeds include thistle, poison ivy, poison oak, etc. (City Code 19-1601)

The accumulation of brush is not allowed, except for appropriate types of firewood. Firewood must be properly stored to prevent pest harborage and tree disease transmission. Firewood stacks should be located in side or rear yards. (City Code 19-103.14)

Boulevard Encroachments and Street Safety
Boulevard Encroachments 
Placing items in the right-of-way (R.O.W.) or public boulevard (generally 12-15 feet from the road or to the sidewalk) is restricted to ensure safe and efficient vehicle and pedestrian traffic. Large plantings, basketball hoops, decorative structures, fences and other obstructions are not allowed in this area. Sidewalks may not be blocked. (City Code 25) Please refer to Diagram 1 below for standard property lot encroachments.

Street Safety
For the safety of pedestrians and traffic, children and adults should not play in the streets or obstruct traffic. Please use city parks for sports and recreation activities. Cross-walks and intersections should be used for crossing streets. Individuals who obstruct traffic or don’t use safe procedures when crossing the street may be arrested or fined.

Standard Property Lot Encroachments

Storage and Parking of Vehicles
All stored vehicles must be owned by a person who resides at the property.

All vehicles (including passenger and recreational vehicles) parked in the front yard must be located on an approved driveway or paved or graveled extension of the driveway. Parking on grass, dirt or landscaping (other than an approved driveway) in the front yard is not allowed. (City Code 19-103.14) Please refer to Diagram 1 for yard areas.

On-street Parking
Parking is not allowed on city streets between 2 am and 6 am. Vehicles may not be located on city streets for more than 6 hours. (City Code 27-120). Please do not park on the streets when snowfall exceeds two inches so roads can be plowed

Junk/Inoperable Vehicles
Junk or inoperable vehicles, including pioneer or classic vehicles, may not be stored outside. (City Code 19-1300). This includes vehicles that:
  • Are not operable— placed on jacks, have flat tires, won’t start, etc.
  • Do not have current license registrations
  • Are otherwise not in a condition to legally operate on public streets.

Commercial Vehicles
Commercial vehicles may not be parked on residential properties except for reasonable periods of delivery or service and no more than 2 hours (City Code 19-103). Commercial vehicles are defined as:
  • Construction equipment, farm vehicles and equipment, or
  • Vehicles more than 9,000 lbs. in gross weight, or greater than 21 ft. in length or 8 ft. in height such as dump trucks, construction trailers, tow trucks, truck-tractors, step vans, cube vans and similar.

*Recreational vehicles as defined by MN Statutes 169.011 are excluded from the commercial vehicle definition.

Housing and Building Maintenance
House and Building Maintenance
Any building or structure (houses, garages, sheds, fences, etc.) must be properly designed, maintained in good condition. Siding, fascia and soffits must be free of peeling paint, holes, cracks or other deterioration. Roofs must be watertight and in good repair. Foundations must adequately support the building at all times. (City Codes 12 & 35) 

Accessory structures
Two accessory structures (garage, shed, carport, etc.) are allowed per residential property as long as the total square footage does not exceed the foundation size of the primary residence (house). An attached or detached garage is considered one accessory structure. All accessory structures must meet Building Code requirements. Any structure over 200 sq ft requires a building permit. Accessory structures must meet setback requirements. Please see the “Accessory Structure” handout for more information.

Fences must be made of metal, wood, masonry or other decay resistant materials and must be maintained in good condition structurally and in appearance. Before installing a fence over a height of 6 feet, a building permit must be obtained. For more information, please view our "Residential Fences, Hedges and Retaining Walls" brochure.

House Numbers
In emergency situations, seconds matter. Address numbers are required and must be: 1) At least 3 inches in height 2) Durable materials 3) Contrasting color to the surface they are attached. Reflective materials are recommended. House numbers should be placed on the house and not a door that can be opened and then not visible. (City Code 3-104)

Garage or Rummage Sales
Sales of a resident’s personal property are allowed 4 times a year, up to 3 consecutive days each sale. Sales must be conducted within the home or accessory structure. One sign up to 6 sq ft identifying the location and information related to the garage sale is allowed. Off-site signs up to 6 sq ft may be located on other residential property with permission of the property owner. The name of the person conducting the sale, address and date(s) of the sale must be located on the front or back of the sign. Signs must be placed at least 10 feet from the street or 2 feet behind a sidewalk; and may not be placed on traffic signs or utility poles, fences, in parks or on city property. Please be kind and remove your sign at the end of the sale. (City Code 34-140) Please see the Temporary Sign Regulations brochure for more information.

Care for Animals
Proper Care of Animals
Animals can be wonderful companions. However, they can also become dangerous or nuisances to you and your neighbors if not properly cared for. Animal owners are responsible for the care and control of their pets.

Numbers and Vaccinations
No more than 2 dogs and 3 cats over 6 months of age are allowed per house unit. Dogs and cats must be vaccinated against rabies.

Pet License or Registration
The City of Brooklyn Center does not require pets to be licensed.  However, other pet management requirements must be met.

Animals must be properly restrained and under control of the owner at all times such as by a leash or fence. Continuous barking, whining or other noises are not permitted.

Dangerous Dogs
Animals that attack a person or another animal are subject to the “dangerous animal” regulations, and could result in the animal being destroyed.

Please Pick Up After Your Pet
Animal feces and waste can spread disease and produce nuisance odors.

Farm & Wild Animals
Farm animals or wild animals are not allowed in the city. These include, but are not limited to, horses, cows, sheep, pigs, goats, ducks and others. Animals may not be slaughtered. Wild animals include ferrets, lions, bobcats, wolves, foxes, raccoons, skunks, rattle snakes and other venomous snakes, alligators, and others. Up to 6 chickens (hens) are allowed, but not roosters. 

Please Don't Feed the Deer!
Feeding deer is not allowed. It contributes to overpopulation and nuisances. This includes placing any grain, fruit, nuts, fodder, salt licks or other food within 4 feet of the ground, unless they are protected or screened from deer. (City Code 1-200) For more information about deer management in Brooklyn Center, visit our Deer Management webpage.

Recreational Fires
Fire Regulations

Permits are not required in order to have a recreational fire. City Code Chapter 5 establishes standards to ensure recreational fires are safe and do not become nuisances to the neighbors.
  • Recreational fires are permitted only between 8 am and midnight.
  • Fires must be set in a pit 1 foot in the ground, a maximum 3 feet in diameter, with a brick or rock edge. An approved outdoor fireplace or commercially manufactured steel outdoor fire pit no more than 3 feet in size is allowed. The pit must be located at least 25 ft from buildings, fences and property lines.
  • Flames may not exceed 3 ft above the fire pit, and all burning material must be located within the pit.
  • Prevailing winds may not exceed 10 miles per hour or direct smoke into nearby residences.
  • A water source, such as a water hose, must be available at the pit for extinguishing the fire.
  • An adult must monitor the fire at all times.
  • Only clean, dry wood or charcoal may be burned. No leaves, brush or trash may be burned.

For more information about recreational fires, please visit the Fire Department's webpages

Noise and Graffiti
Quiet Please

Certain loud noises that disturb others are considered a public nuisance and against the law. Some examples of illegal noise activities include: 
  • Loud noise or noise in the evening hours from parties or gathering of people. Owners and tenants are responsible for noise at any time. People attending the gathering are also held responsible. A police officer may ask people at a large gathering to leave instead of taking other enforcement actions.
  • Noise from a radio, musical instrument, or other device producing sound audible from a distance of 50 feet from the device.
  • If the noise is from a vehicle, the person in charge of the vehicle is also responsible for the violation.
  • Other regulations apply at night time between 10 pm and 7 am.

Graffiti is Vandalism

Graffiti is vandalism and often related to gang activity and violence. If graffiti tagging occurs, please call 911 immediately to have an officer record the incident. Removing graffiti promptly helps deter future graffiti. Always call 911 if you notice suspicious activity.

Juvenile Curfews
Do You Know Where Your Children Are?

Unsupervised juveniles (less than 18 years old) not only have opportunity to get into trouble, they also are more likely to be victims of crime. Parents/guardians of juveniles are responsible for ensuring curfew laws are followed. Business operators are also responsible for prohibiting juveniles from gathering on their property after curfew. Brooklyn Center follows Hennepin County Ordinance No. 16. For more information about Ordinance 16, visit the Hennepin County website. For information about youth services in Brooklyn Center, view the police department's website

Hennepin County Ordinance No. 16 Juvenile Curfew Regulations

Age                                   Days                              Times

Under 12 years               Sun - Thurs                      9 pm - 5 am
                                        Fri & Sat                          10 pm - 5am

12 - 14 years                  Sun - Thurs                       10 pm - 5 am
                                       Fri & Sat                            11 pm - 5 am

15 - 17 years                  Sun - Thurs                       11 pm - 5 am
                                       Fri & Sat                            12:01 am - 5 am

Rental Properties
Tenants and Landlords
In order to rent out a property in Brooklyn Center, a rental license must first be obtained. (City Code 12-900) The property must be maintained in good condition and meet all applicable city codes. The property must also pass a city inspection. City utility bills must be paid on an ongoing basis.

Landlords and renters should choose each other wisely, since they will be dependent on each other during the lease agreement. Both landlords and renters should know city codes, since they are both responsible for meeting city codes. For more information, please see the “Landlord and Tenants: Rights and Responsibilities” Guide distributed by the Minnesota Attorney General’s Office or online at

Renters who commit certain crimes and nuisances may be criminally prosecuted and face eviction. Landlords are responsible for working with Police and City Personnel in order to correct problems.

For more information regarding rental dwellings and rental licenses, please view our Rental Dwellings webpages.

Vacant Properties
Foreclosures and Vacant Properties
Foreclosures and vacant properties can become nuisances to the neighborhood if properties are not maintained. Residents can minimize the negative impact of foreclosures by offering assistance to neighbors going through foreclosure. 

Properties vacant for more than 30 days must be registered with the City and maintained in safe condition. Please call 911 if suspicious activities are observed and call code enforcement at (763) 569-3330 about property code violations. The City is working to secure and monitor vacant properties through the VacantWatch program. For more information about vacant properties, view our Vacant Building Program webpage.

Working with Neighbors and the City
Working With Neighbors
Get to know your neighbors. Knowing your neighbors helps make the neighborhood safer and more enjoyable. Being courteous, friendly, and tolerant will help prevent many problems. Neighborhood Watch is a great way to establish relationships with your neighbors and city staff.

Resolving Disputes & Mediation Services. If you have a dispute with a neighbor, the Community Mediation Services is available to help resolve the situation. Their services are free-of-charge to residents, voluntary, and are held in a neutral environment. For more information, contact the Community Mediation Services, Inc. at (763) 561-0033 or

Working With the City
City employees work with property owners, tenants, businesses, community agencies and interdepartmentally to maintain neighborhoods in a clean, safe and attractive condition. If you have questions about property maintenance or city codes, please contact city staff. Resources or referrals may be available to help correct a situation.

If You Receive a Notice
Please Do NOT ignore it! If you do not understand the items in the notice or need additional time to complete a project, please call the city employee listed on the notice right away. Failure to meet city codes and standards may result in enforcement such as fines, city-facilitated corrections, eviction, formal criminal court actions or jail.

To Report a Neighborhood Concern
If a neighborhood concern cannot be resolved through neighbor cooperation, the city may be able to assist. Depending on the issue, multiple departments may be involved. The amount of time to address a situation varies depending on the issue and legal requirements. Complaints may be filed in person, by mail, by telephone or through the city website at Notify the City.  In order for the city to follow up on the issue, the following information is needed:

  1. Your name and contact number so the city can contact you if more information is needed or for updates.
  2. The specific location of the issue, including the house number and street name.
  3. A detailed description and location on the property.
  4. If the issue can be viewed from a public area or if permission is granted to view the concern from your property.

*According to Minnesota State Law, your identity is kept confidential, unless your participation is required to prosecute a criminal charge.

Nuisance Contact Information
Rental Licensing, Business Licenses
City Clerk (Administration Dept.)
(763) 569-3300

Property Maintenance, Nuisances, Vacant Buildings
(Junk, garbage/trash, brush, fences, outside storage, long grass/weeds, etc.)
Code Enforcement (Community Development Dept.)
(763) 569-3330

Rental Property Concerns, Building Permits
Building Inspection Division (Community Development Dept.)
(763) 569-3330

On-Street Parking, Loud Parties, Curfew Violations, Loose Animals and Animal Issues, Graffiti, Suspicious or Illegal Activities
Police Department
911 (Officer Assistance & Emergencies)
(763) 569-3333 (General Information)

Housing Rehabilitation or Purchase Programs
Community Development Department
(763) 569-3330

Neighborhood Watch, Crime Prevention
Crime Prevention (Police Department)
(763) 569-3272

Fire Prevention, Fire Regulations
Fire Department
(763) 549-3600