Click to Home
Resident Help Center

Go To Search
Volunteer and Serve on Commissions
Do you want to participate in local government?
City Clerk

6301 Shingle Creek Pkwy.
Brooklyn Center, MN  55430

Ph: (763) 569-3306
Fx: (763) 569-3494

Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Serving as a member of a commission offers an excellent opportunity to become actively involved in your city government.  Citizen volunteers bring passion and new ideas.

A member of an advisory commission is a(n):

    community leader (committed, dedicated, valuable)

    policy advisor (knowledgeable, participatory, studious)

    civic ambassador (helpful, accessible, engaged)

    interested observer (informed, needed, visionary)

An advisory commission member must be a resident of Brooklyn Center (except Sister Cities) and shall have a broad range of interests relative to the commission's purpose.

The Mayor, with the majority consent of the Council, appoints citizens who serve voluntarily on commissions in the City.  The Mayor shall give due regard in appointing an advisory commission member, which will take into consideration geographical distribution within the city and the representative nature of the commission in terms of gender, religion, ethnicity, race, age, disability, employee, and employer groups.

Application packets are available and applications can be submitted when there is a vacancy on a commission.


City Advisory Commissions
  • Financial Commission - 3 vacancies 
  • Housing Commission - 2 vacancies        
  • Park and Recreation Commission - 2 vacancies       

Other Commissions
  • Charter Commission - 1 vacancy   
  • Northwest Suburbs Cable Communications Commission - no vacancy
  • Watershed Commission - no vacancy
  • Sister Cities Commission (no residency requirement) - no vacancy