Click to Home
Resident Help Center

Go To Search
Vacant Building Program
Xiong Thao
Housing & Community Standards Supervisor

6301 Shingle Creek Pkwy.
Brooklyn Center, MN  55430

Ph: (763) 569-3330
Fx: (763) 569-3494

Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Similar to other cities throughout the nation, Brooklyn Center has experienced a high number of mortgage foreclosures. Vacant properties have become prevalent in many neighborhoods. The number of resident concerns and the increased staff time used to follow up on vacant property concerns indicated that the city needed to have a greater influence on the condition and re-occupancy of these foreclosed, vacant properties.

A study of vacant properties was conducted in the summer of 2008, providing some background information for the vacant building ordinance and registration requirements. In addition, feedback was obtained from various mortgage companies, property servicers, residents, and other cities with similar issues as part of the ordinance development process.

Foreclosure Strategy
The city has a comprehensive, four-step foreclosure strategy to stabilize the neighborhoods and help ensure the properties are brought back to a productive use. Foreclosed vacant properties registered with the city are eligible for certain city housing programs while funding is available.

Vacant Building Registration
A residential or commercial property where an entire building on a parcel has been vacant for more than 30 days must be registered with the City. For example, this includes a single-family property, a single commercial building that is vacant on a parcel, and a multi-family building that does not have any occupants.

Some exemptions to vacant building registration include:
  • A parcel of land that does not have a building located on it.
  • Any multi-unit building on a single parcel that has one or more occupants is not considered vacant. Examples include an apartment complex that has a few units available for rent or a multi-tenant commercial property with a space available for rent.
  • Extended vacationers or snowbirds - A resident on an extended vacation or alternative living arrangement, including over winter months (snowbird), with the intention to return to the property and live is exempt from registering the vacant building. However, a verified emergency contact number where the property owner is located must be provided and the property must be maintained by a local person / agent so it does not appear to be vacant.
  • Fire-damaged property - A building that has suffered fire damage is exempt from registration if the cleanup, repair, or demolition is completed within 90 days after the date of the fire, and if the exemption is requested in writing.

Program Resources
The following resources will provide more information on the vacant building program.

Apply for a Vacant Building Registration Online
Registrations are now available online through our online permitting system here.